Monday, September 27, 2010

"We Complain about the brand of shoes that we have until we see people without feet"

It was 2 years back on 10-10-08 when my wife and I traveled to Cambodia for our Anniversary. I was just looking through my photos and I found these two... I chartered a boart and headed off to the middle of Tonle Sap Lake (Largest lake in the world I think.. if not Asia)... my intention was to have a romantic dinner overlooking the horizon at dusk... Instead... we were troubled with a few incidents on the way that totally stopped us and had us puzzled. Kids were "sailing" on their "aluminum boats"... asking for money. My heart sanked as I saw more than 15 "sailors" were doing so...

Our candlelight dinner didn't really end up too romantic as that experience stopped us to ask ourselves... Have I made a difference in my life? Do I value life? Should I be happy with what I have now? Should I complain about what I don't have until I realize what I already have is a luxury to many?

From that day onwards, our Lionism somehow strengthened. Well, that's just the two of us.. and a story to share. Both Cheryl and I have not made any plans for 10-10 this year.. let alone.. 10-10-10....

She asked me the other day about our plans for 10-10-10.. and I told her, instead of spending loads of money doing lame stuff every year.. how about we be M.A.D (Making a Difference)... not in our lives.. but in the lives of others? LCI and our MD308 alone are celebrating 10-10-10, World Sight Day and a lot of us are going for the Walk for Sight projects. 

A friend asked... "Aiya.. Alan... But it's YOUR anniversary!!!! You can put everything else on hold... What difference does it make for the two of you?" And my answer to him was... "It may just be an extra two Lions on the road supporting this cause... but... I know we would have Made a Difference... it's the baby steps we take!"

What are your plans for 10-10-10?
*Penang*Klang Valley*

Regards

Lion Alan Thoo
B2 Passion Editorial Team

No comments:

Post a Comment